Free Crisis Communication Seminar
August 12, 2011
Free Crisis Communications Seminar Offered in Richland County
On Monday, September 12, the Mansfield/Ontario/Richland County Health Department is sponsoring a free crisis communication seminar presented by Bruce Hennes of Hennes Paynter Communications from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. The seminar will be in Room 128 at Kee Hall on the North Central State College/OSU-Mansfield campus.
The seminar “Managing the Media: Crisis Communication, Media Relations & Social Media” is targeted for government officials, community leaders, nonprofits, education, business, Boards of Health, medical providers, fire, law enforcement and other first responders. The seminar offers practical instruction on how to handle the media in a crisis situation.
Cost for the seminar is free but seating is strictly limited. Reservations are a must. Because the seminar will go across the lunch hour, box lunches will be available for $8.25 with prior reservation payable at check-in. For online registration go to: http://mansfieldseminar.eventbrite.com/
The two-part training session, includes information on:
- Establishing & maintaining “control of the message”
- Using Facebook and Twitter during times of crisis
- What reporters expect; what you should expect
- Defining and creating Key Messages
- The difference between print, TV, and radio interviews and how each requires different skill sets
- What to do when lawyers insist on a strict “no comment”
- Includes one hour of “Extreme Crisis Communication” (handling mass casualties, pandemic flu and other extreme threats to life and limb).
The Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission, Office of the Attorney General, has approved the seminar for four (4) Continuing Professional Training (CPT) hours.
Registration on the day of the seminar is 7:30 a.m. with the first session running from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and the second session on crisis use of social media running from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
For more information, or to pre-register by phone, contact Selby Dorgan, Manager of Health Promotion/Education at the Mansfield/Ontario/Richland County Health Department, 419-774-4544.« Back to News
In honor of Public Health Week, the American Public Health Association has created a 2 minute video on Public Health's Retyurn on Investment. See it linked on the main page Welcome (below in the middle).